In this simple beyond the book activity inspired by our Journey to Space theme, you can create your very own rocket ship from an empty toilet roll and a bit of creativity!
To set up this activity, you’ll need:
- Empty toilet roll
- Extra piece of paper or thin cardboard (cereal box works great!)
- Markers or paint
- Cut a circle from the separate piece of paper or cardboard. This circle should be about twice the diameter of your toilet roll opening as it will be used to create the nose of the rocket ship. Tracing around a mug or drinking glass will work fine.
- Cut a section from the cone to create what looks like a ‘Pacman’ looking mouth. Create a cone small enough to fit over the top of the toilet roll from the paper/ cardboard and tape closed. Tape onto the top of the toilet roll.
- Using scissors, cut the bottom of your toilet roll into strips and bend out – this is the flames of the rocket ship.
- Colour or paint your rocket ship and then watch it soar!
Can you make other rocket ship designs from your toilet roll? Try adding fins onto the side or making a pointer nose for the top!