In this simple beyond the book activity inspired by our Journey to Space theme, you can a galaxy sensory jar that is perfect to use to focus, calm down, and relax.
To set up this activity, you’ll need:
- Clean glass jar with lid (jam jar or mason jar work well)
- Fine glitter (note that Eco glitter breaks down in water so likely isn’t suitable for this activity)
- Tempera paint – at least 2 colours – we suggest pink/ blue/ purple as these look very space-y together
- LOTS of cotton wool balls
- Butter knife or stick to squish cotton balls down
- Fill 1/3 of the jar with plain water.
- Pour a good squeeze of paint (in any colour) to the water. Put the lid on and shake shake shake! VERY important to have a secure lid for this activity. Shaking will help to mix the paint and the water together.
- Add some of the fine glitter to the water/paint mixture. The glitter bits represent stars in your galaxy.
- Stretch out some cotton wool balls so they are wide enough to cover the bottom of the jar. Use a butter knife or stick to squish enough cotton balls down into the bottom of the jar. Add more layers until you have filled up the part of the jar with water in it.
- Fill the next 1/3 of the jar with plain water and add in some more glitter.
- Pour some paint in a different colour into the water, put the lid on and shake or stir (more gently this time) until the paint is mixed into the water.
- Add your next layer of cotton wool balls, squishing down. Keep adding.
- Fill the final 1/3 of the jar with plain water and a bit more glitter.
- Pour more paint in a different colour than the last into the water, put the lid on and shake or stir.
- Add your final layers of cotton wool balls until you get to the top of the jar.
Try again using smaller layers of water and more contrasting colours! What else could you add to your galaxy jars?